a daughter, sister, confidante, new mommy, practical fashionista's blog...

Thursday, April 29, 2010

What Baby Wants, Baby Gets

I get practically everything for Baby at Walmart. I'm there virtually every week along with all the other families that I used to notice there pre-birth. Our family is now one of "the masses."

Here are a few ideas for anybody out there who wonders what they should buy or look for when a little one is on the way. Some we bought ourselves and some were gifted to us by our families and friends. Gotta love Walmart.

Graco - Sarah 4-in-1 Convertible Classic Crib in Espresso:

Love the chocolate brown color, very chic. It's sturdy. No drop rail, which is safest. One person could assemble it, but another person for moral support and instruction reading is recommended (namely, the prego mom).

Graco - MetroLite Travel System, Rittenhouse:

I didn't want pink. I didn't want something that looked boyish. This pattern and color is classic. The carseat accommodates up to 32 lbs. or inches, whichever comes first, which will serve us longer than most average carseats out there; and that will save us money in the long run. Yay!

Prince Lionheart Ultimate Wipes Warmer:

No more shocking the baby tushy with cold wipes any time of day, especially in the wee hours of the morning or night. Even mommy kind of wanted one for herself. What will they think of next. There's a little green nightlight on it, but it doesn't illuminate much.

Pampers - Swaddlers Diapers with DRY MAX:

We've tried a few others, and the Swaddlers have delivered what it promises 99% of the time. The other 1% was just due to what's called a "blowout" (No. 2) and an improperly fitted loose diaper (No. 1). A wise friend and mommy told me never to buy too many diapers at one time because your baby will grow out of them as quickly as you go through them. That is a big fat fact.

Gerber Pre-folded Birdseye Cloth Diaper 12-Pack:

These aren't the days of my mom, strictly cloth diapers and diaper service (pickup at your house & returned clean), but this product still exists. We bought them because they make the BEST burp cloths. Absorbent, durable and cheap! Spit away, baby. Mama's got a dozen and can get more without breaking the bank.

Gerber - Long-Sleeve Onesies, 4-Pack:

My wise mommy friend also imparted this nugget of advice. She said onesies are another staple for a new baby. Get the longsleeves for newborns with the foldover hand flaps. They keep baby's fingers warm as well as protect them from scratching themselves. By the way, clipping baby's fingernails is like microsurgery!

Graco Lovin' Hug Baby Swing, Libby:

During a crying bender, the baby fell asleep in her carseat that daddy carried and swung in the living room -- in desperation, you get creative. The next day, I sought out a swing. This has a contoured shape similar to a carseat, is battery operated and has safety straps. We removed the senseless tray because I couldn't imagine a baby drinking or eating on it. Thank goodness for gadgets.

So there you go. A few basic things that we could not do without all from Walmart, from cheap to costly. I hope this info can help some new parents out there.

No comments: